Vitamin D is essential in the regulation of calcium and absorption of phosphorus, maintaining healthy teeth and bones, and helps in the over-all resistance of the body to certain types of diseases. If you don’t get enough Vitamin D, you’re at risk of developing bone diseases like osteomalacia (soft bones) or osteoporosis (brittle bones). Vitamin D has a lot of important roles in the body. Aside from the mentioned points above, Vitamin D also helps in:
· Having a stronger immune system
· Having a healthier brain and nervous system
· Over-all cardiovascular health
· Aiding diabetes management and regulates insulin levels
Over the years, it was backed-up by research that we need more vitamin D more than we once thought. Although there has been some controversy about the right amount one should get, the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) reported updated intake recommendations based on international units per day or IU.
· Infants 0 up to 12 months: 400 IU (10mcg)
· Children – teens: 600 IU (15mcg)
· Adults up to age 70: 600 IU (15mcg)
· Adults above age 70: 800 IU (20mcg)
· Pregnant or lactating women: 600 IU (15mcg)
The top foods that has vitamin D are the following:
· Eggs, the yolk particularly
· Fishes like salmon and sardines
· Fortified foods like milk, cereal, yoghurt and orange juice
Can I Get Vitamin D Supplements?
Yes, yes and yes. This is where we, vitamin manufacturers and supplement manufacturers come into the picture. Aside getting your daily dose of vitamin D from sunlight and food, Vitamin D supplements are also available. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) recommends that you obtain vitamin from all three mentioned sources in order to ensure sufficient levels of vitamin D in your blood.
Want to have your own line of custom vitamins or supplement labeling with Vitamin D (and more!) with your own label? Yes your own brand name and logo! Get a custom quote from us by clicking on the button below!